Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Welcome to a World of Tradition

I will never forget the day I was introduced to the wonderful world of Old Mill. It was a Saturday evening my freshman year when a van pulled up to me, little Laura (Papania) Sercer sticking her pixie head out the window told me to hop in! There we went! That night her and her four wonderful roommates, more formerly known as 'The Pixies' introduced me to Old Mill. We began our journey wandering through the art village, where Chelsea was working diligently on her exquisite senior project, while sipping on a corona. It was at that moment I fell utterly in love with the carefree artist she is. We then continued our journey through Old Mill where I was introduced to the humble Pixie abode. I was immediately told to sit on the couch, while handed a tall glass of wine and a stack of Rome scrapbooks to peruse. What more could a girl ask for?
The Playful Pixies 

After hearing bits & pieces about how each of the Pixies met, I was taken to the apartment next door, more formerly known as the 'PB & Js.' It was as if I had been introduced to a whole new dimension of UD... the upperclassmen! As I looked around at the new faces, my excitement grew. At this point in the night I just kept thinking to myself "How on earth could UD get any better?" But then came the really UD aspect of the night... playing games & talking for hours and hours about Rome. It was such a wonderful experience, almost like that of a dream. Yet it still remains vividly alive in my memory. 
The Photogenic PB&Js
To think that I live in that apartment where I was taken to that night my freshman year is not a coincidence at all. Those two generations of girls welcomed the underclassmen into their lives with eager arms. It was the little things that bring such joy to my heart, like Anne's homemade biscuits after a big night or Katie O'Keefe's bed after an eventful Progressive. Both apartments of girls truly helped start a tradition. It was Apartment 1118, now more formerly known as 'The Womb,' where it all began and where it continues to grow.

The Wonderful Wombies 
My four wonderful roommates or wombmates as we call ourselves, thanks to Paul Spring & Andrew Esherick's coining of our abode as 'the womb,' now occupy apartment 1118. Why the strange nickname you may ask? Well, if you've ever visited our apartment it is very red, very warm and very homey...need I say more? Katie, Adrienne, Kate, Sara & I each have tried to continue the legacy left before us by hosting the Long Island Iced Teas on Groundhog, spontaneous dance parties, open couches (and beds) to all those that aren't fit to make the walk to campus and a very open door policy. The five of us have had such an incredible experience thus far, especially this past fall with my sister, Julia, and Kate's sister, Andrea, joining in the family legacy. We're all looking forward to a wonderful end of our senior year and plenty more lasting memories with those we love. 

Cheers to the spirit of tradition that rests in the hearts of UDers!


No comments:

Post a Comment